Las Fallas is basically a giant street festival in Valencia with enormous paper sculptures, fancy Valencian clothes, and massive parties with lots of things on fire, from my understanding. I had fully intended to go as I like all of those things (well, maybe I’m not so big on paper sculptures).
But, I ended up getting my plans together too late, so unfortunately I missed it this year.
Of course, I’m definitely regretting this decision after reading all about this year’s festival. Here are some links to great pieces on Las Fallas. Enjoy!
- LAS FALLAS festival in Valencia (katyarichkitchen.com) – lots of great pictures of the traditional Valencian outfits and the daytime festivities.
- Las Fallas, the Festival of Fire Celebrated in Valencia (amusingplanet.com) - check out the elaborate sculptures they make…and then burn!
- City on Fire: Las Fallas (jessicaalcorn.blogspot.com) – lots of pictures and descriptions of the craziness.
- Valencia’s Fallas 2012, the Hangover Post (nothemingwaysspain.blogspot.com) – tons of great pictures for night and day. The most thorough piece I found – it talks about things from the street food to the protests.
- And check out this slideshow at Yahoo and this one at the Guardian that both have high-quality photos of Las Fallas 2012.
Ahhh, it looks like so much fun! I’ll have to go next year – anybody want to join?